PO Box 5003

Navarre Beach, Fl 32566

 

President

Peter Birckhead

Vice President

Gary Buroker

Secretary

Michelle Auwaerter

Treasurer

Kathy Boulton

 

NBLRA 2018 MEETINGS

November 17

All Meetings will be held on the 3rd Saturday of each month beginning at 10:00 am unless specified otherwise at Juana’s Pagoda

(New Navarre Press subscribers and new NBLRA members only.)

CLICK TO SUBSCRIBE

NBLRA Minutes

October 20, 2018 Meeting

The October meeting of leaseholders and residents association met Saturday, October 20, 2018 at Juana’s.  The meeting was called to order at 10:00 a.m. by President, Peter Birckhead.  The quorum was called and then it was followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.  There were 72 present at the meeting.

 

Approve Minutes – The September minutes were approved.

 

Treasurer’s Report – Kathy Boulton, Treasurer presented her report as of October 15, 2018.  The current checking account balance is $21,660.73 of which $7,201.34 is BBLC Donations.  The money market balance is $11,790.11.  There were 288 paid members. The treasure report was approved.  Reference Treasure report, dated October 15, 2018 for further details.

 

Fire Department Report – Chief Fureigh provided the September fire report.  There were 54 calls in September.  Chief highlighted the main items in September:

• Grant from Firehouse Subs will help to replace Jaws of Life.

• Working to obtain a Lucas Machine which is about 80% better than CPR.

• Working to obtain Air Packs that will be paid by the Local Option Sales Tax (LOST).

• There are two potential buyers for the Ladder Truck.

• Consolidation Study – Budget figures had outdated numbers so working with committee to update numbers to current budget.

• Fire Station floors were redone.

 

Other items highlighted as follows:

• Received check from Texas Construction for storage POD, deposited.

• 9/5/2018 received new TNT extrication equipment, training/demo.

• 9/7/2018 Lucas machine demonstration at station.

• Contacted Emergency Mgmt in reference to Regatta. No permits nor were they informed.

• 9/11/2018 Mask fit testing for new SCBA masks.

• 9/11/2018 Captains meeting.

• 9/11/2018 attended County BOD meeting, MSBU approved.

• Composed letter of investigation on Firefighter Matt Harris.

• 9/12/2018 Received resignation letter from Matt Harris.

• Interviewed Kellen Martin for vacant position.

• 9/13/2018 received $47 and $49 refund on Flood insurance.

• 9/13/2018 meeting with Gary Wise on Beach Safety Director Position.

• 9/14/2018 Aflac meeting signed up new employees.

• Signed 2 year contract with Underwood Anderson on Workers Comp, saving $2650 annually.

• 9/18/2018 offered Firefighter/EMT position to Kellen Martin.

• 9/24/2018 Structure fire on Turkey Bluff Rd

• 9/25/2018 Structure fire on Valley Rd

• 9/25/2018 attended consolidation meeting at station 35.

• 9/25/2018 extended POD for 1 more month, Texas Construction to reimburse.

• Scheduled Jeremy Reeder from New York Life to attend BOD meeting on 10/16/2018 to discuss SEP.

• Emailed step plan, union raise chart to Dave Norton.

• 9/25/18 sent additional to interested parties on Ladder 49

• 9/25/18 Ordered uniforms

• 9/25/2018 scheduled 2 additional quotes on Training room project.

• 9/26/2018 attended meeting at Emergency Mgmt with LE, EMS, FIRE, and Hospitals on MCI incidents.

• 9/26/2018 Contacted ESSI to repair station generator, bad oil pressure switch. Ordered.

• Met with Dave Norton on 2019 Budget

 

Mr. Lewis provided some updates on the following items:

• Water Safety Program – Still working with County and waiting on County to proceed

• Hurricane Michael – announced three firefighters have gone to Panama City to assist.

 

Meet Your Neighbor: – Courtland Gray introduced David Piech, Commissioner Elect for District 4.  The November speaker will be a representative from Ring which is a home security company.

Mr. Piech thanked everyone for their support.  District 4 had a great voter turnout.  He mentioned that East River has been able to collect two semi truckloads of supplies for Hurricane Michael in the last four days.  If you want to see where the donations are being distributed, you may go to the East River’s website and Facebook.  He will be sworn in on November 20th in Milton at 9:00 a.m. with a reception afterwards for those interested in attending.  Mr. Piech explained that he is under the Sunshine laws which means he must be careful on providing positions so as not to influence the other commissioners.  He discussed that the Commissioners were having a meeting October 25th in Milton at 6:00 p.m. to vote on changes to the Marine Park Lease.  The potential changes to the lease are to allow hotels and a RV Park.  He encouraged NBLRA members to voice their opinion by attending the meeting and/or emailing the commissioners.  He plans on keeping his constituents informed on the issues and hopes they will attend the county meetings to support their position.  He is currently being initiated into the position and has been meeting his staff and Department Heads.  His priorities are infrastructure, planning and safety.  Roadwork is a priority and he has also been looking into grants for District 4.  LOST money helps pays for roadwork.  He will be looking into the $7 million investment in Navarre Park and the new courthouse to make sure that the money is being spent appropriately (e.g. covers the basic needs).  Also, he stated we need to work on the causeway to the beach to make sure it meets the needs of the future (next 15 to 20 years).  We have more needs than we have money but stated he will provide the rationale to the constituents of why a proposed project or idea cannot be accomplished.  He plans on attending the NBLRA meetings as much as his schedule allows.  He encouraged the members that if they ever have questions to e-mail him.  He promised to respond to all emails but to be patient with him because he likes to provide complete answers which may require research.  It was opened up to the audience for any questions and member asked his position on fee/simple bill.  Mr. Piech responded he supported fee/simple but it should be kept separate from the Pass issue.  He also stated the current designated conservation and recreation land on the beach should remain designated as that for perpetuity.

Lynette Piech was introduced. She assists her husband by making sure he gets all his messages and responds.  She is a school teacher and loves kids.  She is an active member of the community.  She encouraged everyone that if they have trouble contacting Dave to contact her and she will make sure he gets the message.

 

Legislative Update -

• Marine Park Property and BBOC Meeting on 10/25/18–. The current owners of the parcel of land located on the Sound side in Marine Park, roughly 5.7 acres, are looking to sell the property to new owners. The area is zoned commercial, but the current lease is restricted to building a marina. The owners are going to ask the BOCC to change the current lease to more uses. Conceptual site plans submitted to the county include a multi-story hotel at the south end of the property with 27 RV sites for overnight stays. The plan also includes a new dock with kayaks and stand up paddle boards for rent. Along the water a marine store and restaurant would be neighbored by a pool and club house.  The property is located past the Navarre Beach Marine Science Station and picnic pavilions in the Navarre Beach Marine Park on the northern side of Gulf Boulevard abutting Santa Rosa Sound.

Gary requested a vote to make sure the NBLRA position was this property should become zoned as conservation and recreation.  The vote showed the majority of the members agreed with this position.

 

The commercial lease change request to allow a hotel in Marine Park on Navarre Beach will get voted on at the BOCC meeting on October 25 at 6:00pm in Milton which is same meeting the BOCC will be presenting the District 4 Master Plan.

 

Please plan to attend this meeting.  The meeting place is as follows:

 Administrative Center Board Room,

 6495 Caroline Street, Milton

 

If you want to send an email to all Commissioners to convey the position, you may email it to: bocc@santarosa.fl.gov

 

• Widening Highway 98 – There will be a hearing on November 13th.   More details will be provided as they become known.

 

Nominating Committee for 2019 Board of Directors (BOD) – October 20th was the last day to accept nominations for the BOD positions.  The voting on the positions will occur at the November meeting.

 

Beach Beautification Liaison Committee Update –

• Turner House Update – The brick home has an interested buyer.  No more detail at this time.

• Gulf Side Improvements – The work should begin this next week or the following.

 

Neighborhood Watch Update – Robin Otto provided the following highlights:

• Nextdoor App – people who have joined increased from 125 to 230.  This app can be helpful during hurricanes because it keeps you informed of road closures and emergency updates.

 o Mike Bellamy/Navarre Towers has volunteered to be a Block Captain.

• Pedestrian/Bike Path – Larry Hoffman will propose a pedestrian/bike path to the County Commissioners on October 25th to be included in the District 4 Master Plan.  He also plans to meet with County Commissioner elect Piech after he takes office.

• Enforcement Issues – There have been issues with

 o overnight parking;

 o people cleaning up after their dogs and taking them to the beach; and

 o Trespassing

Robin talked with Animal Control and found out that someone is being trained for Navarre.  Call Sheriff’s Department for trespassing issues.

• Guided Nature Walk – It is scheduled for October 30th in the parking lot across from the Water Tower @ 8:30 a.m.  The event has been advertised through the Turtle Conservation Center, Marine Park, Library, Chamber, Facebook, YMCA, Juana’s and Navarre Press.  Navarre Press did a great write-up on the event.

• Safety Issues – Safety Flags along the beach need cotter pins/ clips and or chains replaced.  The POC to repair/replace flags is Terry.

• Santa Rosa CO Sheriff’s Department – There is a new District Commander Lt. Mark James who transferred from Gulf Breeze.  Lt. James is our point of contact and will attend the monthly meetings.

• Monthly Crime Report:

 o 10/4/18  Theft  8500 Gulf Blvd

 o 10/11/18 Burglary  8400 Gulf Blvd

 o 10/13/18  Theft  8500 Gulf Blvd

 o 10/14/18 ???  8425 Gulf Blvd (Homeport/Emerald Surf)

??? – Black bag found with purses and drug paraphernalia.  No official report yet.

 o Crime Report/Spot Crime – receive information directly from Santa Rosa County

 versus 911 call. Robin’s preference is 911 calls because it is known immediately

 and do not have to wait on County to provide.

• Meeting – Will meet with Dave Piech to discuss the issues that concern the community.  Everyone is encouraged to communicate any concerns via Nextdoor App or private message to Robin.

• Hurricane Season – Phil Babiak stated we should be prepared in advance by having an evacuation plan. Know where you are going to evacuate.

Meet Your Neighbor Program – Peter introduced Kimberly Jones.  Her first interview will be with the Executive Chef at the Beach House.  Contact Kimberly if you would like to be interviewed or have a referral.

501 3(c) Opportunity - Peter requested that the proposal be delayed for 6-9 months.  The cost to move forward with this proposal was more than expected.  Cost is now estimated between $3500 to $4000.  Many things are required to be done to meet the IRS code such as redoing the bylaws, amending the Articles of Incorporation, establishing Board of Directors etc.  We also would be required to complete an application package that would be submitted to the IRS which also has fees that are not known at this time.  Peter wants the time to determine whether the irrigation project will be viable and then can determine if it is worthwhile to move forward.  The motion to delay the project for 6-9 months was put to a vote and passed.  One member asked if we could just start over as a new organization and Peter stated it is still an option.

 

General Discussion –

• Next Meeting is November 17th at Juana’s.

• Discussed establishing a Facebook page for NBLRA but determined there were two already on Facebook. (1) Navarre Beach News and (2) Navarre Beach Concerned Citizens so determined it was not necessary to move forward with another Facebook page.

• One of the members brought up the idea of requesting the Commissioners at the October 25th meeting to postpone their vote on Marine Park until after David Piech takes office given the results of recent election.

 

This concluded the meeting which adjourned at 11:00 a.m.

 

Respectively Submitted by,

Michelle Auwaerter

 

© 2016-2020 SandpaperMarketing